Thursday, February 21, 2008

of an evening somewhere else

On why I like being somewhere else. (written some days ago)

Just once in a while.

I arrive at your doorstep ..or is it gatestep? Or does that even make sense whilst we’re yelling at each other on the phone on why your cell phone battery always dies at the worse time and how you can supposedly hear me with my booming voice outside the gate A-62 in the fighter jet colony and you come out and say:

“bro you smell splendid, all fresh and all”

And I say “bro, im always refreshed upon seeing you” and then there’s this big stupid laugh as we hug and you slap me on the back and ask “whatsup bro?

It’s always good to be back.

Somewhere else I sit on the 5th floor of a busy building along the highway and see your attractive looking flatmate (who is also a lawyer) walk into the house. On another day, in another time I might have taken more interest but my mind wanders to a girl sitting with a lamp near her face, illuminating her auburn hair as she studies tirelessly the effects of alcohol on the brain and the methodology behind treating retardation in young children. My mind wanders to the point when she suddenly thinks of me and picks up her cell phone. She types out furiously, something extremely adorable. To me, it’s probably more meaningful then anything I’ve read in the entire day. She says “come back” and I joke that I’ve been gone all of 36 hours. As I say this I realize, I miss her...

We drink some nice scotch with water (sam needs his with soda as he goes just a little slower) and we belt down the scrumptious fowl soaked in pure butter. I see planes taking off in the distance and I am somewhere else. They're somewhere else too...

Because somewhere else is nice at times. It’s away from what is everyday and it’s nice to hear the words they say. It’s somewhere new. Ironically, someplace else makes me realize how much I cherish where I was in the first place. Why must we be apart in order to yearn to be together?

The weekend was a heady mix. Things aren't always what they seem and I've got high standards of people. Maybe it stems from the high standards I have on myself. December draws nearer and there are many songs to sing...

many songs to sing.

No comments: